Barnsley Blood Pressure Checks
Published at 08 July, 2022.
Our Barnsley smokefree service has partnered up with their local council to promote and encourage clients to get their blood pressure checked.
Blood pressure is the term used to desribe the strength with which your blood pushes on the sides of your arteries as it's pumped around your body.
Low blood pressure is not usually a proble, although it can cause dizziness and fainting in some people.
High blood pressure rarely has noticeable symptoms, meaning many people don't know until they find themselves in hospital with a heart attack or stroke.
Getting your blood pressure checked is quick, easy and could save your life.
Blood pressure is measured in millimetres of mercury (mmHg) and is given as 2 numbers:
- systolic pressure – the pressure when your heart pushes blood out
- diastolic pressure – the pressure when your heart rests between beats
The highest number is always the systolic pressure and it's always given first.
As a general guide:
- normal blood pressure is considered to be between 90/60mmHg and 120/80mmHg
- high blood pressure is considered to be 140/90mmHg or higher
- low blood pressure is considered to be 90/60mmHg or lower
If your reading is between 120/80mmHg and 140/90mmHg, you may be at risk of developing high blood pressure.
If you have been testing your blood pressure and want to know if it is classed as high, the NHS site has a great tool: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/blood-pressure-test/
Keep your eye on our social media platforms to see where our Barnsley team are for their health checks, not in Barnsley? Speak to your advisor about blood pressure checks.